Saturday, December 15, 2012

What I learned in Social Work 1016

What I have learned from Social Work 1016

     It has been an interesting semester.  I was excited to begin a new journey in my life, in attending Algoma University this fall. I have tried to have an open mind and I hoped to meet the required academic expectations.  At this point in my life, I entered the Social work program knowing that my passion is for working with individuals.  I have had many opportunities to work in the Social Services Field and gained many insights on the gaps in our society.  I came into this course, eager to make a difference.  I now recognize that there were many areas that I was unaware of when working in the field.
      Being educated on the history of Colonization, and the Elizabethan Poor Laws, is imperative and answered so many questions that I had about the way society functions.  Many citizens in our country are firm believers in “the deserving poor”.  For years I could never put my feelings and thoughts into words around these issues. I used to be impacted by discussions about people who are receiving a social assistance.  Now, I understand that is a learned behaviour from generation to generation. 
    The same can be said for racism. It is a learned behaviour and ingrained thought process that must be challenged.   I come from a family that is racist and was brought up to believe solely in the neo conservative, neo liberalism, ideologies.  I refuse to continue in the same beliefs. I will make a change within my generation.  I am making a promise to myself that my grandchildren will not engage in that belief system. I will do my best to protect them from the narrow-minded, racially prejudiced, influences and provide them with a new lens through which to view the world.
     Learning the different political lenses is a must in Social Work.  I love the quote “when it is personal it is political”. Once I was introduced to this standpoint I became apprehensive. This showed me that I had some growing to do.
     Preparing for our group presentation, I became familiar with the Indian Act.  I still, have a difficult time comprehending how my ancestors were conquerors.  The Europeans established a perspective that the First Nations people were savages, and this attitude is prevalent even today.  In studying the Human Rights Act (HRA) I discovered that our government contains great ignorance. The last residential school was not closed until 1996, nineteen years after the HRA was written. It has not been implemented well for the First Nations peoples.  
     The people who sit in The House of Commons are liars.  It has been said that “We know when a politician is lying because their lips are moving”. 
     Doing these blogs, and reading the text, intrigued me to continue with second semester. I know in my soul I am meant to be Social Worker.  I will spend my entire professional years advocating, and assisting the First Nations people.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment