Sunday, December 9, 2012

A school coming together to raise awareness on racism

-->
A school coming together to raise awareness on racism

I found this news paper article from The Sun from back in 2009 and the head line said this “A blow against racism Student strikes back after being hit, taunted -- and finds himself charged with assault” (The Sun 2009). It caught my eye so I went in to read it. This article blew me away when I saw that most of the school stood up for the 15-year-old Asian boy that got charged for breaking his bully’s nose. And the 15 year-old Asian boy got charged for assault causing body harm. So the whole school stood up and protested about this issue.

In The Sun paper on Tuesday, April 28, 2009, there is a report of an entire high school protesting in support of a15-year-old Asian boy.  This boy was the only one charged in a high-school fight in which the other boy allegedly started the scrap after racially taunting the Asian student. (The Sun 2009).  The Asian boy apparently had a black belt in karate but the first punch was thrown by the person racially slurring the Asian boy.  The Asian boy was punched in the mouth then retaliated by punching the other boy in the nose.  The Asian boy, who reportedly is an excellent student, is also facing expulsion from school.  The other boy is also facing expulsion but no charges have been brought against him by police.

I was bullied when I was in school many years ago and the pain is still there with me.  Every day I walk in pain because of the past. I understand what bullying can do to a person’s self esteem. I wasn’t bugged due to my race but I was bullied for my size and it still causes pain.

This is not just a racially charged event, but an excellent example of bullying.  Schools generally have a zero tolerance for bullying and fighting on the premises, but in most cases, the zero tolerance is just talk.   Rarely does a bully receive punishment, as most people won’t speak up in defence of the bullied student.  This could be due to fear of retaliation by the bully and his buddies.

In a neo-conservative government, they would support the police because they look at the individual and his reaction to the event.  They tend not to look at  the event itself, or the fact that it is racial in nature, or even considered bullying.  Their opinion would be that because the Asian boy had a black belt in karate, he should have been aware that he was capable of out-fighting his taunter.  Neo-conservatives have a selfish view, survival of the fittest is how they look at the world.  They would only get involved if it impacted or was perceived to damage their views.

By: Jeff

References

Clarkson, B. (2009, April 28). A blow against racism. . Retrieved from http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/04/28/9272411-sun.html

7 comments:

  1. People do need to look at the circumstances surrounding the situation before passing a judgement call. That is what we should be advocating for as social workers. When someone is backed into a corner, I do think think that should be punished for doing what they felt they needed to do in the moment to prevent themselves from being hurt. Isn't that the point of defense classes? Punishing the boy for reaching his breaking point is wrong. Our society isn't always the best suited to advocate for people who need it. Reasons like this is why I am here.

    Angele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Jeff!

    Bullying is not something to be taken lightly. I am proud of this child for sticking up for himself, and disgusted that he is the one who is getting charged. I would like to know why the police think the child who stuck up for himself should be the one getting charged...

    Children and teens are committing suicide due to bullying. Something needs to be done to stop this. Children are harsh towards one another these days, and it should not be tolerated anymore. More education needs to be given around the effects of bullying, and someone should never be punished for standing up for themselves, that goes against what we tell people - "stick up for yourself, don't let people push you around" etc.

    Meagan (LGBT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, well written blog! and yes people really need to open their eyes and see that anything can be harmful toward someone, even if its verbal or physical. Bullying is a very big issue that has not stopped. Many people raise awareness about bullying but no one does anything to stop it. I read an article about this girl who committed suicide because she was bullied. I don't even think bullies know what pain they cause others. STOP BULLYING!

    - Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you were able to share your personal experience and relate your story and the article together. I feel that many people have been bullied while growing up, and although some cases may be worse than others, this type of treatment does still affect how a person will be in their society. I know I have experienced being bullied while growing up and have also been in trouble for fighting back. Some parents including my own seem to think this is just kids being kids, but really this is unacceptable. We are constantly taught that we are to respect one another and our differences but when it comes to the school yard for example it seems that all of this is forgotten. Perhaps if there have more eyes on the kids or perhaps a class workshop about affects of bullying and treatment towards others within the curriculum, perhaps that could help reduce the amount or the severity of the bullying that has been occurring.

    Thank you for sharing!

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me happy to see a positive story that stemmed from a racial issue!! Whenever I hear stories about teens/kids being bullied it breaks my heart. As a teen myself, I experienced being bullied and I know how horrible it could make some feel. In my high school there were a lot of exchanged students that come from around the world. Being in a classroom with exchanged students, I could tell that some of them didn't feel wanted or felt like they fit in with their classmates. I think this would be a natural feeling coming from a teen that left their culture at home to be introduced to a new one. I know I would feel out of place if I traveled to to foreign school and my classmates also felt this as well. In result of this feeling, students along with myself interacted with the exchange students in the classroom to make them feel welcomed and wanted. After reading your blog I was reminded of the good feeling that came to me when making someone feel welcomed and also that there are good people in the world that are helping to stop racism little by little.

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jeff,
    I think that the topic that you have addressed is very important. As you have mentioned, being bullied reflects on the individual for the rest of his or her life. In my opinion, I believe that the kid who got bullied and beaten up at first only defended himself. He is capable of taking that boy down, yet he did not because he did not want to cause any trouble or hurt his colleague.

    I wonder how things would have turn out to be if the kid did not have Asian origins. He was bullied, hurt (physically and emotionally) and then got charged.. ? I think that explain a lot about how we still look at each other as races, religions, and shapes instead of seeing each other for who we are.

    Much respect for sharing your personal experience on that. Thank you! - Farah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeff,

    As i was reading your blog i immediately thought about the zero tolerance policy that as put forth in many schools in Toronto. This policy was initially intended to prevent and promote a no tolerance for any drug abuse and weapons within school; which held a principle of calling the police if such matters occur.
    I think what is really shocking to me is that because of the systemic problems within the school system and its lack of support system for its teachers and students, the student are really receiving the short end of the stick. Teachers now turn to the law enforcement to solve what often times could me minor solution. But instead these kids receive a criminal record which puts a further strain on their lives. I think we as society need to stand up against such policies that make it harder for students. I understand there are cases in which police should be involve but it should not be the norm for student who make mistakes, get into fights and occasionally act out to have a criminal record.

    Hoda

    ReplyDelete